Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Quantum Mechanics and Relativity


We all know Einstein's famous equation about mass-energy equivilence E=MC2 where E is energy, M is mass and C is Celeritas (speed of light) squared. Thinking of it the other day re-kindled my interest I had in the equation and the theory behind it when I thought of Celeritas. Thinking of Celeritas and what it really means simplified the basics of the equation for me even further, rather than many of the long winded explanations (although far better explained) that I had read. Celeritas being speed, a measure of a given distance traveled within a given time really brought home the relevancy of how space and time can indeed be variable if any of the other constituent values of the formula change. I'd simply never thought of it in this way before.



I never thought to think of Celeritas as anything more than a constant from the way exams condition us into this frame of mind, but it is a value of speed nonetheless. -Albeit a speed with a determining essentially immutable factor i.e. its value absolutely cannot increase. Upon thinking of this, I remembered all the other aspects of physics I had long left behind from school, after all, I was more into organic chemistry at the time... -but still: The uncertainty principle, wave particly duality and ultimately the behemoth of quantum mechanics as a whole by itself. I picked up a few books to get a more in depth understanding of the subject, which should assist in forging links in my brain that I never knew could exist...




Einstein's essential works

Antimatter

The elegant universe of Albert Einstein

8 lectures on quantum mechanics

Lectures on theoretical physics

No comments:

Post a Comment